The City of Pasadena is also a municipal utility. So when the city desired to reduce energy use, they turned to the utility for assistance. The utility, Pasadena Water & Power in turn reached out to 3FFICIENT engineers for help.
This project encompassed analyzing energy use and auditing 28 buildings, ranging in size from a 3,500 square foot branch library to the 170,000 square foot historical city hall building.
This project involved upgrades to: lighting, HVAC, domestic water conservation, new fixtures, variable frequency drives, direct digital controls and EMS improvements. This project saved the city well over $250,000 a year in energy costs.
- Energy Savings: 496 kW; 2,789,000 kWh/yr
- Emissions Savings: 2,423,952 lbs CO2 (GHG); 4,636 lbs NOx (smog);5,244 lbs SO2 (acid rain)
- Equivalent to planting 3,612 trees each year
- Equivalent to not driving 2,651,430 miles in a car annually
- Equivalent to powering 248 large homes with renewable energy