When the electric grid starts getting out of balance or does not have enough power supply to match demand, utilities understandably get nervous. One way to respond is to better manage the demand and get customers to delay or shed loads when it gets hot or when everyone else is using more power.
So when San Diego Gas & Electric was looking for help reducing customer’s demand from their largest commercial and retail customers, 3fficient was competitively selected to provide energy audits and technical assistance for demand response and energy efficiency for their key accounts.
The scope of the short-term program included detailed energy audits and technical assistance for 9 of the utility’s top accounts. These customers represented almost 7 megawatts of peak power demand. Customer solutions included a wide variety of efficiency measures with a focus on automation and controls upgrades.
- Demand Shift: 1.5 MW
- Demand Savings: 740 kW
- Energy Savings: 1,620,600 kWh/yr;
- Emissions Savings: 2,658,947 lbs/yr CO2 (GHG)
- Equivalent to planting 31,257 trees each year
- Equivalent to not driving 2,956,074 miles in a car annually
- Equivalent to powering 130 large homes with renewable energy